6141.321 Appendix A
Internet Safety Agreement
Internet/Computer Network Use
Acceptable Use Policy – Use of the Internet and Other Information Technologies
Statement of Purpose
Internet access is available to students and staff in the Regional School District #4. We believe the Internet offers vast, diverse, and unique resources to both students and staff. Our goal in providing this service to staff and students is to promote educational excellence in the schools by facilitating resource sharing, innovation, and communication.
The Internet is an electronic highway connecting computers all over the world and millions of individual subscribers. With access to computers and people all over the world also comes the availability of material that may not be considered to be of educational value in the context of the school setting. Regional School District #4 has taken precautions to restrict access to controversial materials. However, on a global network it is impossible to control all materials and an industrious user may discover controversial information. We (Regional School District #4) firmly believe that the valuable information and interaction available on this worldwide network far outweighs the possibility that users may procure material that is not consistent with the educational goals of the District. It is our goal to provide individual users with the understanding and skills needed to use the Internet in ways appropriate to their individual educational needs.
Internet access is coordinated through a complex association of government agencies, and regional and state networks. In addition, the smooth operation of the network relies upon the proper conduct of the end users who must adhere to strict guidelines. Guidelines are provided here so that users are aware of the responsibilities they are provided. In general this requires efficient, ethical and legal utilization of the network recourses. If a Regional School District #4 user violates any of these provisions, his or her account will be terminated and future access could be denied.
Terms of Agreement
In order for a student to be allowed access to a school computer system, computer network, and the Internet, parents must sign and return the attached consent form.
Terms and Conditions of Use
- Acceptable Use – All accounts must be in support of education and research and consistent with the educational objectives of Regional School District #4. Use of other organization’s network or computing resources must comply with the rules appropriate for that network. Transmission of any material in violation of any national or state regulation is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: copyrighted material, threatening or obscene material.
- Privacy/Monitoring Notification. All computer communication systems, and all communications and stored information transmitted, received, or contained in the Network’s systems are property of Regional School District #4 and are to be used only for school-related purposes. Network use will be monitored from time to time. Users must be aware that they should not have any expectation of personal privacy in the use of the district computer system.
- Privileges – The use of the Internet is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in the cancellation of privileges.
- Expectations – Users are required to adhere to the following expectations.
- )Under no conditions should passwords be shared.
- )Any attempt to degrade the performance of the Network is prohibited.
- )Users must abide by all the copyright laws.
- )Commercial software may not be installed without the express permission of the administration.
- )Use of the Network for any illegal activities is prohibited.
In addition, if a particular behavior or activity is generally prohibited by law, by Board policy or by school rules or regulations, use of these computer systems for the purpose of carrying out such behavior or activity is also prohibited.
- Network Etiquette – Expectations include (but are not limited to) the following:
- )Be polite. Do not get abusive in your messages to others.
- )Use appropriate language.
- )Illegal activities are strictly forbidden.
- )Do not reveal your personal address or phone numbers of student or colleagues.
- )Note that electronic mail (e-mail) is not guaranteed to be private from administration or others.
- Security – Computer system security is a high priority. If there is suspicion of a breach of security, you must notify administration.
- Vandalism – Vandalism will result in cancellation of privileges
School District Internet Use Agreement
I understand and will abide by the above Internet Use Agreement. Should I commit any violation, my access privileges may be revoked, school disciplinary action may be taken, and/or appropriate legal action.
User’s Full Name: _______________________________________________________
User’s Signature: ________________________________________________________
PARENT OR GUARDIAN
As the parent or guardian of _________________________________________________(student name), I have read the Internet Use Agreement. I understand that this access is designed for educational purposes. Regional School District #4 has taken precautions to eliminate controversial material. However, I also recognize it is impossible for the School District to restrict access to all controversial materials and I will not hold them responsible for materials acquired on the network. Further, I accept full responsibility for supervision if and when my child’s use is not in a school setting. I hereby give permission to issue an account for my child and certify that the information contained on this form is correct.
Parent or Guardian’s Name (please print): ________________________________________________
Parent or Guardian’s Signature:____________________________________________________________
Copyright © CABE. All rights reserved.